Thursday, June 11, 2009

Road Trip

Summer is suppose to be a time for things to slow down at work, enjoying the slower pace of life, taking off early, and generally being less productive. YEAH RIGHT... when monkey's fly out of butt.

So far this summer I have 2 trips to Chicago scheduled, 1 trip to NYC, 1 trip to Iowa, and potentially 1 trip to Colorado and West Virginia. These are all overnight trips of at least 2 days or more. And it isn't counting the possible inclusion of day trips to sites around the 150 mile radius from StL.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind traveling for work. I love my job and the field work has always been the main reason for my career choice. My biggest complaint is the restrictions that the company puts on travel these days. It isn't like the old days in private consulting, when I would have to share a room with another person, eat bologna sandwiches and Ramon noodles all week to make a little extra on the per Diem check. But being in downtown Chicago, all week, without the benefit of a car? I know there are alot of things to do downtown. I know that I am not going to be bored. But I have friends in the burbs, and to ask them to come downtown in the middle of the week is probably not in the cards.

Several of the trips, I will likely have a co-worker along with me. That isn't always a bad thing. Just makes the trip seem longer.

Oh well, if you live in any of the areas I will be traveling to, drop me a note, maybe we can enjoy a drink or two. Beats sitting in a hotel room eating cold pizza and watching Sportscenter.

1 comment:

Samsmama said...

I applaud you. I'm no fan of traveling. Airports make me antsy and long car rides are the WORST! However, there are times when I'd kill to go lock myself in a hotel room and eat pizza and watch Sportscenter. Well, more likely, a different program. But you get the idea.