Monday, May 18, 2009

Voyeuristic Tendancies

I admit it, I am a voyeur. I love to watch, read, talk, and observe the human nature. Increasingly, I find myself surfing the blogosphere in search of interesting and revealing stories and accounts from others.

Part of my fascination is the whole, wanting to know how the other half lives thing. Part of is is wanting to imagine myself in their shoes; and part of it is me just being nosy. I suppose all true voyeurs are nosy people. Why else would they be that way. They want to see how others react to a situation. What they say and talk about.

The frustrating part of my voyeuristic tendencies is that I am a scientist. I have an analytical mind, which always gets me into trouble. It is always asking questions. Always seeking answers. This is a good and bad thing for a voyeur.

Example..... Blog XYZ discusses the most recent sexual adventures of a couple. They routinely travel to other cities to participate in adventures with "friends with benefits". Sometimes together, sometimes separate. While the discussion and review of their adventures is interesting and satisfies some of the voyeuristic tendencies, it also raises questions.

How did they originally meet?

How long have they known one another?

What was the initial attraction, other than the obvious?

How do they explain their adventures to other "white bread" friends?

What is the whole process for deciding to travel to another city, somewhere across the country for a meeting?

Don't get me wrong, I am not being judgemental at all. I am just trying to understand. I think of myself as a pretty open and honest person. Able to talk at length on most any subject, not afraid to shy away from controversial subjects, and I am willing to freely disclose personal information, if I am sure that I can trust the person with the information.

But having said that, I am also very private with strangers. I will withhold certain information from people if I don't feel they need to know. Once I am more comfortable with them, then i might share.

So my question to you, dear readers is this:

Am I asking for too much information? Should I just be happy and content knowing what I know and accept the fact that I won't or don't get to know the whole story?

Comments.

2 comments:

Samsmama said...

No, you (I) need details. I probably wouldn't be able to sleep at night until I knew the whole story.

Frank Irwin said...

The question I would ask them is, "So, when are you coming to my town?"