Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Cellphone Hell - Part Deux

When we last left our intrepid adventurer, he was in search of a replacement cell phone, after having been chastised and belittled at the hands of the all-knowing, all-seeing Wicked Witch of the Device Service Center.

So, L and I get back into the truck and drive to the ATT store in our neighborhood. The whole drive, I feel like I need to be sitting on a hemorrhoid donut pillow, cause my ass is working button holes over the bullshit I just endured at the service center.

On the drive, L calmly asks me if I am going to go postal on the poor, unsuspecting customer service person at the store. I told her that I would remain calm and try to get some satisfaction out of his company, without disemboweling him.

We arrived at the store and after about a 10 minute wait, it was finally our turn. The nice young lad introduced himself, and after explaining my problem, we went to his computer to see if he could work some magic. After a few minutes of "hmmmmm and oooohhhing", he looked at me that said, " your fucked". Not really, but essentially that is what he meant.

As he put it:

I am not eligible for a free upgrade until December (Shit);
I don't have insurance on my phone (shit fuck shit);
The hag at the service center was correct, the manufacturer wont honor the warranty;
Seems the broken screens are the reason they don't even sell that model of phone anymore (LG Slide POS);
I can buy a new phone from them for $175 to get the same model (now why would I want to do that?);
I could buy any other phone in the store for full price (here comes the anal violation again);
He could hook me up with a basic, POS Nokia phone that looks like a kids toy for $40; (makes and receives calls and that is about it); or
I can go buy a Go Phone at one of the other retail establishments, slip my SIM chip into it, and viola, I have myself a new phone with the features I want, at least until December. ( hmmmm, getting a new phone and screwing the man at the same time.....)

Now Skippy didn't have to tell me this, cause it directly affects his commission, but he also is appreciative of the fact that the LG i had to buy last July out right and the LG has a design flaw which has caused it to break.

So after deciding to take Door #3 and get the Go Phone, Skippy transfers my info to a new SIM card so that i can insert it into the GO phone upon purchase. ALL IS RIGHT WITH THE WORLD AT THIS POINT, even though we have spent almost 2 hours getting to this point.

So it is off to Best Buy to talk to yet another pimply faced lad. I much waiting in line with the unwashed masses and toothless hilljacks that seemingly appear out of the woodwork on Sunday at this place, I am able to get the GO Phone. I purchase a Razr, just like L had, only a different color. No frigging way am I walking around with a Pink phone.

We swap the SIM card, power up the phone, and lo and behold, it recognizes the number and I am back in operation. Wait for it..........

Except, Skippy didn't transfer any or my address book to the SIM card, so now I have lost almost 200 numbers and contacts. FUCK FUCK FUCK.

Needless to say, it was Mother's Day, L's Mom was on her way to our house along with L's son and daughter-in-law, so we had to hustle home and BBQ. I would have rather went back to have a few words with Skippy but duty called. I was in a foul mood for the rest of the day, still having that violated feeling and even the six pack of Blue Moon with orange slices didnt do much to cheer me up. Oh well, live and learn from the experiences.

So if any of you has any bright ideas of how to recover numbers from a phone that you cant read the menu screen, I am all ears.

Have a nice day and as always comments are welcome.

3 comments:

vixen kitten said...

Have you gone back to see if Skippy can transfer them for you?

I'm not sure what to say. It's the main reason I just bite the bullet and pay full price for my phones, or buy them off ebay. I refuse to be locked into a contract with them holding "upgrade" over my head. I bought my blackberry off ebay and my pink razr before that and have never had a problem.

I hope you are able to get your numbers back.

xoxo
~vk~

rockman said...

VK,

That is my plan when i can find the time. Hopefully skippy can do a data dump to his computer and then dump them to the phone. Will let you know how it goes.

Samsmama said...

Yep, Skippy should be able to help you. He seems like a nice kid.

That just sucks! What a pain in the ass.