Thursday, July 2, 2009

THe Week/Weekend In Review - Part 2

OK, so I didn't get back to this post the following day like I promised. SORRY.

When we last left our fearless hero, he was crabby, tired, covered in bug and tick bites from his days at camp, and dealing with two crabby kids and a spoiled, rotten little shit of a grandson.

As we were running errands, L overheard my son say something about going to a movie later in the day. I had told him and his sister that we might, since it was so bloody hot and they weren't able to really play outside. L suggested that I do that, in order to keep my kids and the little bastard away from each other and restore peace and harmony to the world.

So we get home, L and I begin to clean the house and get things ready for the b-day party on Sunday. At 4, I take my kids to the movies, as previously discussed. We get home about 630 and L is in a mood. When I finally get her to open up, she informs me that she has been stuck home all day cleaning house while I have been out at the movies and no one bothered to ask her if she wanted to go. Now I will admit that it was an oversight on my part to not ask her, but I assumed by her earlier comment that she didn't really want to go. On top of this, the step daughter, SH1 and the little bastard are gone and have not lifted a finger to help with any of the party preparations. I told L that I was sorry she got stuck cleaning the house and if her "fucking daughter" would get off her ass and help, she wouldn't have had to do it all by herself. WRONG THING TO SAY, I know, but it is what it is.

Needless to say, Saturday evening was a bit chilly in the house.

Sunday, I got up, went outside bright and early and spent about 4 hours mowing, trimming, and generally getting things spruced up around the outside of the house. L had to run to check on her mom and was gone about 4 hours and so when she got back, it was a frenzy to get things finalized for the party. Fortunately, it was just family, and if things were half done, then who cares. We had homemade lasagna, pasta house salad (it is a STL thing), and homemade cheesecake (I made 2 and L made 1).

All in all, it wasn't too bad. The grandsons fought the entire time, which is typical, their parents didn't pay alot of attention to them, which is typical, except to yell at them like a Hoosier in the middle of the yard. But the surprising thing is that when all was said and done, stepdaughter actually thanked us in her own, impersonal way, by texting.....

WELCOME TO MY WORLD.

1 comment:

Samsmama said...

Wow, nothing shows gratitude like a thank you text. That's from the heart, man.