Wednesday, October 20, 2010

So Shoot Me; After lunch

OK, i know i have once again been missing in action... SO SHOOT ME.

Life has gotten in the way of lots of things this past 4 months and too much has happened to relate to here, but suffice it to say, not much has really changed except I am poorer and just as frustrated with ungrateful, dumb ass kids and stepkids.

So in the interest of a clean break from my usual ranting and raving about the irresponsibilities of today's generation. I am not going to go there today and may not go there ever again, unless prompted to by an act of stupidity, so profound, that i want to world to know about it and to assist me in ridiculing them into submission.

Now for something completely different.

It was my birthday last month. My diamond anniversary. Work was hectic and we didn't get to do the customary lunch in my honor, so we ended up doing that today. My choice for lunch, so i let them off cheap and we went to McAlisters Deli. My choice conjured up memories of my youth and my first real experience in the big city as a child, so I thought i would pass along this moment.

When I was a kid (6-8 y.o.), we lived in Illinois, just across the river from St Louis. Now having been born in southeast Missouri and grown up on or near the farms, I was fascinated by the big city and all the wonders it had to offer. But the most memorable experiences came when we would make our annual pilgrimage to downtown St Louis to the big department stores for Christmas shopping and sightseeing.

These trips always included a trip the department store restaurant for those unique and one of a kind (or at least I thought so) dishes that you could only get there. It was on one of those trips that i discovered the dish that is "French Onion Soup".

Now I know your thinking, what 7 year old kid in their right mind would want to eat that.....well me. I guess even at that early age i was a gourmand and enjoyed eating new and exotic dishes.

So in honor of my lunch today and the memories of my childhood experiences; i leave you with the recipe from that trip.

The Famous Barr (store) French Onion Soup.


Yields: 16 servings

5 lbs onions, unpeeled

1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper, freshly ground
2 tablespoons paprika
1 bay leaf
7 (16 ounce) cans beef broth, divided (recommended Swanson's)
1 cup dry white wine (optional)
3/4 cup all-purpose flour or instant flour (such as Wondra)
caramel coloring (optional) or Kitchen Bouquet (optional)
2 teaspoons salt
French baguette (optional)
swiss cheese (optional) or gruyere cheese (optional)



Peel onions and slice 1/8 inch thick, preferably in a food processor. Melt butter in a 6-quart (or larger) stockpot. Add onions; cook, uncovered, over low heat for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally. (The long cooking time makes the onions mellow and sweet.) Stir in pepper, paprika and bay leaf; saute over low heat 10 minutes more, stirring frequently. Pour in 6 cans broth and wine. Increase heat and bring to a boil. Dissolve flour in remaining 1 can broth. Stir into boiling soup. Reduce heat and simmer slowly for 2 hours. Adjust color to a rich brown with caramel coloring, season with salt. Refrigerate overnight. To serve, heat soup in microwave or on stove top. If desired, pour into ovenproof crocks or bowls. Top with a slice of bread and a sprinkling of grated cheese. Heat under the broiler until cheese melts and bubbles, about 5 minutes. Leftover soup can be frozen.


ENJOY and let me know what you think.

5 comments:

Samsmama said...

Oh, I love a good french onion soup. Always have.

It's funny how the mind works, isn't it? Little things that seemed, at the time, like they were so extravagant, but turns out they're quite common.

Loved reading this. Welcome back!

Salina said...

oh it is really great I just have to say Awesome post and Nice Information. I really enjoy This Information... Solaray

chicago real estate said...

Eating is my hobby and if there is some thing new then i love to taste it also, thanks for the sharing now i will definitely try this stuff.

Canada Business Directory said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hydrangea said...

Nice article and thank your valuable information and I wish you luck